Global Warming, Causes and it’s Effect
Global Warming is the biggest issue we are facing now!
What is Global Warming?
Global Warming is the increase of Earth and Ocean’s average surface temperature due to effect of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide emissions from burning fossil fuels(oil, gas, petrol, kerosene, etc.) or from deforestation.
What are the Greenhouse Gases?
Greenhouse gases are those that absorb and emit infrared radiation in the wavelength range emitted by Earth. The primary greenhouse gases in Earth’s atmosphere are water vapour, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous-oxide, Chlorofluorocarbons and ozone.
The major atmospheric constituents, nitrogen (N2), oxygen (O2), and argon (Ar), are not greenhouse gases.
The greenhouse effect
The greenhouse effect is the process by which radiation from a planet’s atmosphere warms the planet’s surface to a temperature above what it would be without its atmosphere.
On Earth, when sunlight reaches it’s surface, some are absorbed and warms our earth and most of the rest are radiated back to the atmosphere at a longer wavelength than the sunlight. Some of these longer wavelengths are absorbed by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere before they are lost to space. The absorption of this long-wave radiant energy warms Earth’s atmosphere. These greenhouse gases act like a mirror and reflect back to the Earth, some of the heat energy which would otherwise be lost to space. The reflecting back of heat energy by the atmosphere is called as “Greenhouse Effect”.
10 Causes of Global Warming
There are many reason’s causes of global warming.
- Carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel burning power plants.
- Carbon dioxide emissions from burning gasoline for transportation.
- Methane emissions from animals, agriculture such as rice paddies, and from Arctic seabeds.
- Deforestation by human is another leading cause of global warming.
- Increase in usage of chemical fertilisers on croplands.
- Definitely more contributing than your four legged friend are solar flares from the sun.
- Pollution whether it is vehicular, electrical or industrial is the main contributor to the global warming.
- Another cause of global warming is overpopulation.
- Landfills are those big chunks of garbage that stink and can be seen in so many places around the world.
- Our friendly, furry, bizarre, and sometimes extreme pals in the animal kingdom are also to blame, sort of.
10 Global Warming Effect
- Widespread extinction of species
- Disappearance of coral reefs
- Massive crop failures
- Rise in sea levels worldwide
- Irregular weather patterns have already started showing results.
- The health of humans and the diseases they are exposed to.
- Global warming can affect agriculture.
- Last summer’s headlines of record changing temperature was mind blowing. Heat wave are increasing rapidly.
- As more chain of events are set in motion, air quality will continue to get worse.
- Countries like Greenland are deteriorating at a highly elevated rate.
How to decrease Global Warming
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
- Use Less Heat and Air Conditioning.
- Power your home with renewable energy.
- Eat fresh, hand made foods for a healthy environment and you.
- Plant a tree, plant a hope.
- Buy Energy-Efficient Products
- Save electricity and reduce global warming by turning off lights when you leave a room.
- Drive Less and Drive Smart.
- Buy better bulbs.
- Stop war.
And most important, share information about recycling and energy conservation with your friends, neighbours and co-workers.
We have the power to prevent global warming through personal choice and action. If we want to take dramatic action, these are just a few of the things we can do and reduce global warming effect or oneday we will be vanished from our mother earth!