Bonsai is a millenia-oldbeloved art form that involves growing trees in its miniature form in a small low sided pot. The visually appealing art form that it is
hails from Japan. The word bonsai itself (meaning bon – tray & sai-planting) has been taken from their ancient tales.
The tree and the pot together form a single unit, complimenting each other in their shape, texture and color making for a beautiful landscape.
In case you are interested and want to indulge, you must be aware of a few points. Aesthetically, the bonsai symbolises harmony and balance between nature and earth. ‘ Heaven and Earth in one container’.Just remember a few points-1. The plant must be small, but mature in appearance.2. Well proportioned plant parts 3. The triangular pattern for visual balance.4. The tree should be positioned off centre in its container.5. No trace should be left that the plant has been shaped.
There are two basic styles-
1.Classic- where the trunk is broader at the base and tapers off at the end.
2. Comic style- being just the vice versa.
1. Leaf trimming involvng removal of leaves from the bonsai’s branches.
2. Pruning the trunk,branches and roots.
3. Wiring allows the grower to create the desired form and make detailed branch and leaf placements
4. Clamping using various tools such as pliers and cutters.
A successful bonsai is most definitely, an enthusiast’s pride.However few measures should be taken that it doesn’t wither out.
1. Watering should be regularly done acc. to the dry, moist and wet soil.
2. Repotting so that the plant adjusts with its growth.
3. The soil should be loose,fast draining mix of compounds.
Lastly, place your bonsai where you get the best view giving you an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
This world wide art form is slowly gaining popularity and generating public interest. Not only as a hobby, but also an Eco-friendly way of home decor.