World Sparrow Day
World Sparrow Day
The theme for WORLD SPARROW DAY 2015 is I LOVE Sparrows. The theme has been inspired by the hope that more and more of us will celebrate the relationship between PEOPLE AND SPARROWS.
Unfortunately, the house sparrow is now a disappearing species of mother nature. But like all other plants and animal kingdom which were once abundant and are now facing an uncertain future, their numbers are also declining across their natural range.
The reasons? Certainly, there is no one single reason for the decline of house sparrow.
World Sparrow Day is a day designated to raise awareness of the House Sparrow and other common birds to urban environments, and of threats to their populations, observed on 20th March.
It is an international initiative by the Nature Forever Society (India) in collaboration with the Eco-Sys Action Foundation (France) and numerous other national and international organisations across the world.
Theme: “Rise for the Sparrow is aimed at empowering and inspiring citizens, corporate and educational institution to actively get involved in sparrow conservation, monitoring and creating awareness with regard to the conservation of house sparrow and other common birds. We aim to reach out to people across the the world to empower them with simple solutions which will not involve a lot of time and resources but at the same time will have a significant impact on sparrow conservation.”
10 things you can do to save sparrows:
1. Plant native plants in your gardens and balconies.
2. Do not use chemicals pesticides in your gardens and home surrounding area.
3. Adopt nest boxes.
4. Put fresh bowl of water outside (Daily).
5. Make dust baths and water baths.
6. Buy home made and organic food.
7. Adopt bird feeders and feed them regularly.
8. Don’t fly kites and never use Nylon strings.
9. Monitor your common birds and report observations on cbmi.in
10. Celebrate World Sparrow Day to create awareness.
* Let’s say Save Sparrow and other common birds, Save Our Green.